Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2008 in Review...I Keep Trying...

I wasn't going to go back to this, but I kept thinking about it. So I wrote it up AGAIN. This time I got an HTML error message and it still wouldn't publish. You'd think after two failures I'd get a clue, but maybe third time is really going to be the charm here. Anyway, I'm going to try this one more time and see if I can get it to go.

Besides, I'm just really bored right now.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you;d never done before?
Hire a lawyer to help with my disability claim. Decide that all my cats should be indoor-only from now on, after losing one to stray dogs (also a first, though a sad one). Join Facebook and look up old friends.

2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't make New Year's resolutions. I hope to be growing all through my life, not just due to some spurious date.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I woman I’d been close to several years ago died in 2007 but I just found out about it in the latter part of 2008. I wish we’d been closer in the past few years.

5. What countries did you visit?
None, except in my mind!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Better mental and physical health. More motivation to do the things I really want to do and achieve what I want in my life.


7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 29, 2008 was the day our dear cat, Gwion Bach, was killed by dogs in our own backyard..

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Um…just making it through the year, I guess.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not quitting smoking. Not keeping up with my music and becoming a phenomenal flute player.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the usual mental illness.

11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
A new fridge.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My in-laws’, without whose support we would be living in a small truck with five cats.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Can’t think of anyone in particular this year.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, food, bills.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I don’t tend to get that excited about anything these days, but that may be the medication talking. Getting back in touch with Stef was very cool, though!

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"One More Chance" by Sandy Denny, because M. and I are trying to reclaim it from the disaster that was BSS.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? About the same.
b) fatter or skinner? A little skinnier. I was a lot skinnier, but I gained about ten lbs over the last month or two..
c) richer or poorer? Definitely poorer. See comment about living in a truck

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Playing music.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Smoking and being depressed.

20. How do you plan to spend Christmas?
We spent Christmas Eve with the in-laws and Christmas Day I did my radio show.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fall in love with M. over and over every day.

22. How many one night stands?
None

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Don’t watch TV.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I didn’t meet anyone new to hate, so no.

25. What was the best book you read?
I found the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer oddly compelling. I really didn’t expect to.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Can’t think of any at all! Though I’ve been a DJ for 15 years I’m seriously behind in knowing about new music.

27. What did you want and get?
Nothing that I can think of offhand.

28. What did you want and not get?
To get out of the financial pit we’re in.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hairspray and The Dark Knight.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 46. M. brought me breakfast in bed and later his folks took us out to a fancy restaurant we’d never been to before.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Easy access to my creative side. More mania and less depression.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Jammies, whenever I can get away with them!

33. What kept you sane?
Facebook, MCHY, my internet friends, my darling boo and his family.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Johnny Depp

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I don’t generally get that stirred up by politics, but Prop. 8 had me going even though it was an issue in another state.

36. Who do you miss?
Heather (the woman who died), Noel, even some people from my past who I cut off because the relationships weren’t healthy for me.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a few new people but none of them struck me one way or the other, really.

38. What was the best thing you ate?
I love all food, so I can’t answer this question properly. Though, the roast duck with truffle mashed potatoes I had for my birthday dinner was way good. I have also become addicted to the enchiladas suiza from Fiesta Vallarta and order them every chance I get.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008?
Getting from where I am to where I want to be is going to be a lot harder than I want and I need to make more of an effort (sigh).

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

The pretty much sums up my life for the past few years.
From “Comfortably Numb” by Pink Floyd:

There is no pain; you are receding

A distant ship smoke on the horizon

You are only coming through in waves

Your lips move, but I can’t hear what you’re saying

When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse

Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look, but it was gone

I cannot put my finger on it now

The child is grown; the dream is gone.

And I have become comfortably numb.

No comments: