Sunday, December 14, 2008

8 Days of Happiness, Day Three: Genuinely Happy

Today, day three of this meme, I am inexplicably genuinely happy. True, a lot of things may have contributed to this state, but I have experienced the same things or combination of things before and still have not felt this good in a long time. Which makes me wonder, what is the source of happiness? Does it rely on events or experiences? Or does it have nothing to do with those things, being a simply ephemeral and inexplicable state by nature, dependent on nothing but an internal sense of rightness with the world?

What I am happy about today:

We had a nice evening with M.'s parents. It was an early one because there was a winter storm warning in effect and we didn't want to get caught away from home in the front. We ate chili from a can (too salty!) and built a gingerbread house from a kit and at lots of sweets and pie. I did not worry about my diet.

M. and I were both unable to sleep last night. We found ourselves in the kitchen at 3 a.m. making ramen. This seemed very romantic to me for some reason.

Despite the lack of sleep, I still woke up by nine and found we had indeed had our first real snowfall of the winter. It makes everything look so pretty. Now the sun is coming out and sparkling on the snow, making it look prettier still.

We went out to breakfast. I indulged myself with my favourite Eggs Benedict omelette. I ate everything, having already decided that today the diet was not going to be an issue.

We got Christmas money from both M.'s parents and my mom, making it possible to pay our mortgage and a few other bills. Big relief there.

We're going to the movie tonight.

I gave myself permission to be a Twilight geek and started reading it again. So what if it's geeky? It makes me happy.

I plan today, after writing this blog, to take a nap, read some more, eat leftover pot pie and go to the movie. I will possibly indulge in popcorn and snowcaps.

Is this acceptance? I don't know, but I feel genuinely happy and I'm grateful, whatever the cause or source.

1 comment:

Stef said...

Making ramen together in the kitchen at 3a.m. is totally romantic!